Photography and Art

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Eric Meola

Yesterday was a pretty dull day around the office. My job mostly involves meetings and there's no one here to meet with, so I decided to download some content management software called Joomla and play around with it. This type of software is designed to make it easy to create and maintain small web sites and it works pretty well. I was able to download the software, install it and build a first iteration of a personal web site in about a day. The site wasn't pretty, but with another week or so of tweaking, it could be.

This morning, I checked out one of my favourite photography sites theonlinephotographer.com and Mike Johnston was blogging about Eric Meola's new book on India. From Mike's blog, I travelled to Eric's web site and was really blown away by both the quality of the photography and the quality of the web site. Normally, I'm not a huge fan of web sites written in Flash. People normally go overboard with animation and navigation really sucks, but whoever did Eric's site kept it really simple and elegant. The design is visually stunning and the colour photography is gorgeous.

I think I'm going to have to spend more time to build a really good website. When you see something like Eric's site, it really shows how top artists think through everything about their work in great detail, including the presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment