Photography and Art

Monday, December 29, 2008

Update to the Lightroom Sharing Saga

Last week, I wrote a post about using the DOS SUBST command to fool Lightroom into thinking that a network drive was actually a local drive so that the catalog could be stored on a network drive.

Alas, although the technique worked inasmuch as I could access my catalog from both my computers (although not at the same time), the speed was agonizingly sloooooow. Lightroom took long pauses between any type of library or developing function. I guess the Adobe guys really made the application very chatty with the database.

My wired network is 100 Mbps (about 10 MBps in theory). USB 2.0 is 480 Mbps, nearly 5 times faster, so the solution seems to be to a) upgrade my wired network to gigabit (sounds expensive!) or b) go back to sharing the catalog via a USB hard drive. I'm going to use option b) until I have a better solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment