Photography and Art

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

A Love Affair with Lakers

It is Valentine's Day and love is in the air. My wife and I have had a lovely day and a nice dinner, but it is time to confess my other current love affair. I've been photographing the big lake ships frozen in the ice in Toronto harbour.

If you recall my artist's statement from a couple of posts ago, I'm fascinated with life as wave form. In other words, I like to photograph the beauty in the constant ebb and flow of life. The big lakers are part of life's rhythm. In the summer, they run various cargoes through the great lake system. In the winter, they rest in harbours dotted about the great lakes, sometimes encased in a shroud of ice, getting their rust removed and fresh layers of paint applied.

There is a sense of great peace surrounding these behemoths of the lakes as they sit in the frozen landscape waiting for spring thaw, engines silent, wind howling through their superstructures. Their metal skins are scarred by close encounters with docks, tugs and locks. Layers of paint, sometimes in gaudy yellows and reds, add touches of colour to monotone hulls and the constant white of the ice and snow.

Here are some of the photos from my encounters with the hibernating beasts of the lakes. I hope you enjoy them:








No comments:

Post a Comment