Photography and Art

Monday, April 14, 2008

Photog Discovery of the Week

This week, I'm recommending a photographer from Italy called Antonio Manno.


A Hand on Music (c) Antonio Manno

Even though Antonio has a web site, it is written in flash and is fairly difficult to navigate. I find his Pbase galleries easier to view and that's where the above link points.

Antonio specializes in digital black and white photography and I particularly like his images of jazz musicians. His command of lighting is superb and he has a knack for bringing out the raw emotion in the subject matter. It is obvious from these images that Antonio is passionate about jazz and jazz musicians.

It isn't easy photographing jazz musicians. Usually light levels are low and they have this annoying habit of moving to the music during their solos. I know, I've tried with mixed success. Every photo in this gallery has wonderful lighting - I wish I knew how he does it.

No comments:

Post a Comment